Sunday 14 January 2007

Windows Networking & MTU Packet Size

I was recently recommended a piece of software called TCP Optimiser to, as you might expect, optimise your Windows registry settings for the Internet. This is all well and good and may have had some positive effect on my system but it brought back the ghost of a problem I had previously solved. Email unable to send, certain websites, including posting onto Blogger not working and no apparent cause.

Turns out your MTU packet size can actually make a big difference, I'm not sure if this is an issue with Tiscali, my ISP, or my D-Link DSL-604+ wireless router but it has now been replicated in both my new flat and my old student digs. The fix is simple enough, just requiring a reboot, and is nicely described here it just seems strange that default Windows settings don't work properly...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.